Budapest is known for being a relatively affordable destination compared to other major European cities. Here are some typical prices you can expect to pay in Budapest:
- Accommodation: Prices for hotels and hostels in Budapest can vary widely depending on the season and location, but in general, you can expect to pay between 15,000 – 40,000 HUF (50 – 130 USD) per night for a mid-range hotel or private hostel room.
- Food and Drinks: Eating out in Budapest can be quite affordable. A meal at a mid-range restaurant will typically cost between 2,000 – 4,000 HUF (7 – 13 USD) per person, while street food and fast food options are even cheaper. A pint of beer at a bar or restaurant will usually cost between 400 – 1,000 HUF (1.5 – 3.5 USD).
- Public Transportation: Budapest has an extensive public transportation system that includes buses, trams, and a metro system. A single ticket costs 350 HUF (1.2 USD), while a 24-hour pass costs 1,650 HUF (5.6 USD).
- Attractions: Admission prices for attractions in Budapest can vary widely, but in general, you can expect to pay between 1,000 – 4,000 HUF (3.5 – 13 USD) per person. Many museums and attractions offer discounted prices for students and seniors.
Tipping in Budapest is generally expected in the service industry, but it is not as common or as high as in some other countries. Here are some general guidelines for tipping in Budapest:
- Restaurants: It is common to leave a tip of 10% of the total bill at restaurants, but this is not mandatory. Some restaurants may include a service charge in the bill, in which case tipping is not necessary.
- Bars: Tipping at bars is not expected, but rounding up the bill to the nearest 100 HUF or leaving a small amount as a gesture of appreciation is common.
- Taxis: Tipping taxi drivers is not necessary, but rounding up the fare to the nearest 100 HUF or leaving a small amount as a gesture of appreciation is common.
- Hotels: It is common to tip hotel staff, such as housekeeping and bellhops, with a small amount of 100 – 200 HUF per day.
- Other services: Tipping for other services, such as hairdressers or spa treatments, is not necessary but is appreciated. A tip of 10% of the total bill is common.